Search This Blog

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Thoughts As We Commence 2012


I haven’t blogged for a couple of months because there have been a few things distracting me. So here are some desultory observations, some of which may help to explain my recent absence from the blogosphere.

"Death Makes Life Special"

Ironically, I learned this expression while attending the “Happiness Class” at DePauw University two weeks ago.  The class is a four-week undergraduate seminar taught by my double cousin, Doug Smith. [We are “double cousins,” you see, because his parents were my parents’ brother and sister. Got that?]  Genealogy aside, Doug’s class teaches the skill of being happy. That’s right, the happiness skill. As he puts it in his syllabus,
Happiness is a feeling of well-being and contentment that tends to reside with those who make choices that lead to serenity about the past, excitement and confidence about the future, and the ability to experience gratification and pleasure in the present. While everyone wants to be happy, we often fail to realize that it is a skill to be happy. It is easy to be miserable. Finding the wherewithal to have an underlying sense of well-being and contentment even in turbulent times is difficult.

Among the tools Doug uses to teach the happiness skill are scores of quotes that prompt class discussions on such topics as:
·  what happiness is
·  how the mind creates it
·  the power of love to combat fear
·  personal choices that affect our moods
·  how to deal with setbacks and loss.

One of those quotes, “death is what makes life special,” seemed unusually poignant because my mother (shown here with her newest "great") died six days before Christmas. She was 91 and ready to go. She passed over the final horizon calmly, painlessly, and at peace. In the process, Mom gave my two sisters and me (we were all there at the end) a special gift: the opportunity to bond as we never had before. For this I am most grateful. Also, the experience reminded me of the profound fact—which two weeks later Doug’s quote would cement firmly in my mind—that without the prospect of death, life would seem unexceptional.

3 double cousins: Carol, Doug & me
A similarly appropriate quote from the class was: “Happy people are not afraid of dying; they’re afraid of not living.” That speaks volumes. Think about it.

For more on the Happiness Class, see Doug’s website. And for background reading, pick up a copy of What Happy People Know by Dan Baker and Man’s Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl. (Both are available in a Kindle edition.)

 On Being an Orphan

Now that both of my parents are gone, my main reson for being in Atlanta has evaporated. Given that I work from home, and since one can apply the “happiness skill” anywhere, I have literally a world full of options. Atlanta is a great city, but it’s not at the top of my list for a future domicile. I feel San Diego calling me back, and other “left coast” options are possible as well. Even Portland, Oregon intrigues me. (Carol Witherell, another double cousin lives there.) I’ve threatened to visit each of my offspring for four months a year, or maybe I’ll just buy a motor home and travel the country, imposing on various friends and former students for days or weeks at a time. Maybe I'll turn up on your doorstep some day soon. Stay tuned. 

The Book is Done!

This was my primary occupation during the fall months: putting finishing touches on the sixth edition of my textbook. The final page proofs came in waves, chapter by chapter, then the book rolled off the presses in December, thus ending an eighteen-month gestation period. The baby looks great, if I do say so myself. If you’re interested, visit the Health Administration Press website

In addition to writing the book, I produce monthly articles for the Healthcare Financial Management Association’s website, especially its “Legal & Regulatory Forum.” I will speak at the ACHE Congress on Healthcare Leadership in March. The topic there will be “Writing Policies, Making Sense”—how to write corporate policies that are clear and enforceable.

Two Curmudgeonly (but Happy!) Musings

First, is there no such thing as television news these days? I gave up on local TV news broadcasts years ago because except for sports and weather it’s all sensationalism. Similarly, the major networks’ news shows consist of a lot of entertainment segments rather than true information, and we all know that the Fox “News” Channel is just political propaganda. But for giggles the other day I turned on the Headline News Network to see what the top stories of the hour would be. They were, in chronological order:
     1.  “Controversy” over Governor Haley Barbour’s pardons in Mississippi, including emotional interviews with the victims’ family members. (This is not news. Governors have the discretion to pardon people. Spare me the weepy sentimentalism.)
     2.  Which politicians are not on the ballot in the Virginia primary. (Okay, they didn’t qualify; get over it.)
     3.  The Italian cruise ship that ran aground and foundered. (Now this is news; why isn’t it the hour's top story?)
     4.  The San Francisco sheriff who had some kind of domestic dispute with his wife but the wife says it wasn’t a big deal. (If it wasn't, why are you reporting on it? Oh, I forgot. Because it's "sexy" enough to pique viewers' interest and thus help sell air time.)
     5.  A missing baby case. (Here we go with a Casey Anthony-type thing again. Tugs at yer heartstrings, don’t it?)
     6.  A story about a girl from a homeless family who is getting a college scholarship and the family is being given a new home. (A feel-good story, for sure; but it’s a feature, not news. It hardly deserves coming before the first break.)
     7.  Brad and Angelina were guests at the White House. (Gag me!)

Second, is Tim Tebow a hypocrite?  With apologies to Broncos fans, I’m glad “Tebow Time” has run out for this year. Tebowmania was getting on my nerves almost as much as the incessant Christmas music that began playing in stores across America before Halloween. 

I mention hypocrisy because the subject of altruism came up in the Happiness Class, and I recalled a relevant passage in the Book of Matthew. It’s in Mt. 6:1-4 and reads, in part, “[W]hen you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray … at the street corners, that they may be seen by men. …  But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door [and pray in secret].” 

Amen to that!
 _______

Best wishes for 2012. I'll try to write more often.

Stuart
  

No comments:

Post a Comment