Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Running Off at the Keyboard

A Few Desultory Thoughts

1. Thoughts On Writing
After one of my blogs someone complimented me and said, "I wish I could write like that."  My first reaction was, "You can. Anyone can." But then I got to thinking: if that's true, why are so many people such dreadful writers? Why can't they put subject and predicate together and make a simple English sentence? There are many answers to this conundrum:
     (a) Good writing takes time, and a lot of folks don't have (or take) the time to write, proofread and re-write, over and over. I'm convinced there's no such thing as good writing ... only good re-writing.
     (b) Good writing takes practice and experience. Most of us don't like to practice things, so we don't gain the experience. 
     (c) Good writing takes discipline and willpower, both of which seem to be in short supply. 
     (d) Good writing takes caring. Some people simply don't care to write more than short notes or send text messages to their BFF.
     (e) Finally, good writing requires clear thinking. Muddled writing usually comes from muddled thinking.

Nathaniel Hawthorne once said, "Easy reading is damn hard writing." He was right.

2. Thoughts from Eliza P. Doolittle
 
Words, words, words, I'm so sick of words!
I get words all day through, first from him, now from you.
Is that all you blighters can do?











3. Thoughts On Hurricanes
Five years ago Katrina hit Florida then moved on to the Gulf Coast. We all know what she did to Alabama, Mississippi, and especially New Orleans. In 2004 Charley, Frances, and Jeanne hit Central Florida and I felt the full brunt of each of them. Two years ago Gustav came through Baton Rouge and I felt Mother Nature's fury again.

I am so glad I don't have to worry about hurricanes this year!

4. Thoughts On Bucket Lists
I got my Georgia driver's license today (only about 5 months late). I checked it off my "to-do list." Then a brief thought chain reminded me of my bucket list and the fact that I've also checked off a few things from that list in recent years: 
     -drove the Pacific Coast Highway from SF to Seattle
     -went skydiving and hot-air ballooning
     -rode in a glider
     -flew in a helicopter (twice)
     -saw the Last Supper in Milan and David in Florence
     -had cappuccino in the Piazza San Marco, Venice
     -saw what's left of the Berlin wall
     -started working at something I truly love doing

But there are other things I want to do:
     -visit the two states I've never seen (No. Dak. and Alaska)
     -go to Russia and China
     -write a novel
     -finish War and Peace (I'm nearly done at the moment)
 
There are lots more, but the point is that bucket lists are fun. Just don't think that when you check off the last item it's time to go. The list is never-ending.

5. Thoughts On Entrepreneurship
My son Scott has some clever friends who've done well in business. A couple of them were the founders of PayPal, for example, and two others have come up with an iPad case. [It's called a "DODOcase" and if you're interested it can be seen at http://www.dodocase.com/.] 

I don't have an iPad, but if I did I'd get one of these cases 'cause they look pretty cool. (And, by the way, promotional considerations have not been paid for this endorsement.)

Anyway, the point of this is that I admire people who have innovative minds and entrepreneurial spirits. I'm not inclined that way, unfortunately, but perhaps I should add to my bucket list an item that says: "invent something that people actually buy." (Or at least: "partner with someone who does." LOL)

6. And Finally...
Back to point #1, the idea that writing takes time and effort. I actually whipped this blog out pretty quickly ... it only took about two hours and 15 minutes. :-)

Write on!

2 comments:

  1. Haha. Nice.

    First of all, you must have a creative mind if you're thinking of writing a novel.

    Secondly, your eldest son and I are embarking on a "creative" adventure where we'll do an elimination diet for 2 weeks and blog about our (ahem, Scott's) mood swings because of the change in nutrient intake. Follow it at http://elimdiet.wordpress.com/.

    Thirdly, it does take time to write well, and even those of us with a small set of can-write-at-least-decently-well skills sometimes choose not to employ them (the lack of which is/are exemplified in this sentence.)

    Lastly, I just wanted to through out a thought; Muddled writing is a product of muddled thinking, but does clear writing necessarily mean clear thinking? Sometimes my thoughts cannot be put into words, and crafting a well written statement does not exactly match the thought.

    Food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. To me, clear writing always presupposes clear thinking. Or, stated another way, you can't write gibberish clearly (unless, of course, you're purposely trying to write gibberish for literary effect, in which case it's not really gibberish after all). I find that if I'm having trouble putting a thought into words, then there's something unclear about the thought. The process of writing helps me focus.

    If you think it, you can write it. If you try hard enough, that is.

    Write on!

    ReplyDelete